Introductory Letter

Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Timothy Lee, and I am a year 1 mechanical engineering student in your critical thinking and communication class. I am writing this letter to better introduce myself and grant you a clearer depiction of my character.

Having graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic in 2020 with a diploma in mechanical engineering, my interest in engineering only strengthened after being introduced to 3D modelling software. I discovered that I really enjoyed being able to draft out as well as animate perfect models of objects and mechanisms. Furthermore, I found myself being exceptionally good at it too, always being able to stay ahead of the class. Through this interest, I decided to further my studies in SIT in hopes of pursuing a career in this field of expertise.

In my free time, I enjoy playing the piano which I had took lessons for since I was young. Although, I dropped out of lessons when I got older as I disliked being forced to play classical music for examinations. Nowadays, I head for the instrument the instant a catchy tune gets stuck in my head. Apart from music, I also have interests in bouldering and rock climbing, which I partake in to spend time with my friends as well.

I am usually an outspoken person who isn't afraid to convey his thoughts, be it to his friends or even to a large group of freshmen at an orientation camp. However, when it comes to formal presentations my confidence dwindles, and my public speaking skills falter.

Through this module and your guidance, I hope to gain more confidence when speaking in a formal setting, as well as improve on my communication skills which would better equip me for my line of work in the future.

Best Regards,

Timothy Lee

Read: Dora, Zong Xiang, Wai Kit

Comments

  1. Very insightful and interesting letter Timothy. It is nice that you know how to play the piano. Also I not able to find any inaccurate language use in your letter when I read through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letter is easy to read as the content on your background, strength, weakness, and goals are clear. However, I think the following sentence "Although, I dropped out of lessons when I got older as I disliked being forced to play classical music for examinations. Nowadays, I head for the instrument the instant a catchy tune gets stuck in my head." can be combined into one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Timothy,

    Thank you for this detailed but clear and concise letter. I appreciate the content that is well aligned with the assignment brief, the effective way you have organized your thoughts and the generally flawless language use.

    You've done a fine job providing supporting information for each specific topic area, allowing us readers to gain a fuller understanding of who you are. One example would be the way you describe your interest in 3D modelling as being the basis for your engineering interest and how you connect that to your ability to "animate perfect models of objects and mechanisms".

    From the discussion of your comm skills weakness, it's easy to see that you have high expectations of your public speaking performance. You can also think of that as unrealized potential, which you can work on for the presentation portion of our module.

    You also mention your piano playing, and how a lack of interest in playing classical spurred you to drop the lessons. (My daughter who now plays in a band in KL dropped formal lessons for the same reason.)

    As mentioned, the language use in this post is quite good, but there is one sentence to take note of:
    -- Although, I dropped out of lessons when I got older as I disliked being forced to play classical music for examinations. > (fragment)

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Reader Response Final Draft

Summary Draft #1